Sunday, January 25, 2015

Purple Starry Dress - Sneak Peek

Hey Everyone! So, how was your weekend? Mine was spent sewing, hanging out with family and reading. After I finished my red medieval dress, I decided I wanted to do the same pattern but try to create a different look and style. I'm only about halfway done but so far am happy with the progress.

Here are the pieces laid out. Since I was a tad short on fabric, I had to shorten the dress length some. I think I'll add a black trim since I really think this dress needs to be floor length. 

 
Then, because I wanted to try something new, I got out some thread and beads that were laying around and started adding beads.


And here are my results:


So basically I first added the cording in a wavy pattern. The hardest part with that was making it symmetrical. Then I got out the beads and added a little star shape in the middle and little clusters of three for each wave. Overall, I'm quite happy with how it turned out and am looking forward to doing more beading in the future.


So, that's all for today. I've got to go finish the lining, work on the sleeves, figure out the black hem trim and finish this dress up.

7 comments:

  1. Ooh! That is really pretty! It reminds me of something slightly witchy or wizardish. For girls, though.
    Beading takes such a looooooooong time, though. Granted, I need glasses, but don't currently have any because the prescription was making my eyes worse, so I can only do beading and embroidery for about 10 minutes at a time before my eyes get too tired and blurry. I did do beading on my entry for the winter FDC (Elsa skating dress) and that wasn't too much. Sometimes, though, if I'm adding embroidery or beading to something, it can take days to finish the detail work because I have to let my eyes rest. It's quite annoying.

    Anywho, I really like this, and will be happy to see the finished dress!

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad you like it and recognized the look I was aiming for.

      That's too bad about your eyes. My eyes have been going downhill as of late so I might be needing glasses myself. I'm not particularly fond of beading but in small amounts I find it doable. And thankfully, for doll clothes, you only need a little bit. But honestly, those small beads were a bit of a pain and I seem to have lost a few in the process. It's a new experience for me so maybe if I continue, I'll improve.

      Wow, you winter FDC outfit sounds quite cute and amazing. I wish the Doll Wardrobe would hurry up and post the entries so I could see your outfit you sewed and vote for you. Patience... I need more patience.

      Hopefully, I'll have the finished dress up soon,
      Nicole

      Delete
  2. Psst, Nicole, psst....Guess what?
    Eee I got the Shola Hearts for Hearts doll and eee! I love her! She's gorgeous, and the amount of detail is fabulous and why din't I tell you I was getting her before?!?!?!?!?!?
    And then my friend never uses her Rahel doll, so she's giving us her and she's bringing her over tomorrow! And I'm very glad for that boot tutorial you posted, as I'm off to make some boots for Shola. :) Eeeeeeeee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And sorry for spamming the comments, but the FDC is up and I'm #1 if you want to see mine. :)

      Delete
    2. That's awesome that you got a new doll! Sounds like she is a nice addition to your doll family. Cool, if your boots work out, it would be great to see a picture. Or if you need help just send me an email. I'll be sure to check out your FDC entry.

      Thanks for taking the time to comment,
      Nicole

      Delete
    3. I know! I'm still squealing over here! Yep, they worked! I don't have grommets and won't be able to go Joann's for a week or two, though, so I'm just hemming the holes. Thanks!

      Well, seeing as how your blog is one of the most viewed websites over at our house, I kind of sorta are definitely going to comment. :D

      Kathleen

      Delete
    4. Yay, that's great that your boots are turning out. It's always a great feeling to know you have helped somebody with a project.

      That's so sweet about my blog, I'm thankful to have a faithful reader like you.

      Nicole

      Delete