Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Sewing boots... by the million (part 1)

Due to the length of this post, I have decided to split it into two parts. The first will cover from cutting out to the top stitching and the second will be on the gluing and eyelets. Enjoy!

As I prepare for the upcoming craft fairs I find myself sewing boots... a lot of them. Since I'm now a professional at making doll boots (just joking), I thought I would share the process with you all. So here is what I will be making. 


Let's all just enjoy this fabulous picture of my boots.


So, for this next pair of boots I picked a different fabric. Darker, smoother and thinner. Unlike the above picture, this pair isn't going to have a different colored tongue


Next I changed the pattern slightly from the original boots. Mainly I shortening them and adjusting the fit.


All the piece cut out. Two of each since the boot is lined. But note that this is only for one boot and you need two to make a pair.


Then since the fabric was kind of flimsy I ironed on interfacing. The two only partly covered in interfacing will be folded in half to form the sides of the boot.


Now for the sewing, I sewed the boot side pieces right sides together. Also, I took the toe and sewed it together to the tongue along the curved edge.


I took the side piece, made it like a tube and then matched the previous seams together and then sewed up the top.


After clipping and turning right side out, I top stitched it to give it a final finish.


Here is your boot side. The eyelets will be set in later. It's not a straight piece as the doll's leg curves in and out. 
 

For the toe and tongue, I sewed the interfacing piece together with he other piece, but left the toe part open because that side will be glued to the sole.

Again, clip and top stitch. For the top of the tongue, I did a fancy stitch to give it more decoration. (Be sure not to brake your needle on the foot like I did. That's why I switched to the walking foot)


All finished and ready to be glued.


Okay, that's it for now. I'll post the next part in a couple days but is a picture of the finished product to keep you until then.




4 comments:

  1. Thanks for this tutorial! It is great! My main problem with sewing for dolls is that I want to make shoes without the fun foam, and are only sewing, but I'm not good at making shoe patterns. *bites lip*

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome. Yeah, shoes are hard. For many years I just stayed away from them altogether. I suppose that's why I put together this tutorial. To share my experience with boot/shoe making. Maybe soon I try and tackle shoes.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. That really means a lot to me as I have spent quite some time working out the pattern and figuring how it was all going to work out. Thanks!

      Delete